top of page

Fee Paying Studentge

With this visa you can
  • Study full-time at the course stated on your visa — this includes schools, tertiary (study after secondary school) and English language study. Student visa conditions require you to attend the place of study endorsed on your visa.

  • Work part-time up to 20 hours a week while studying or full-time in the holidays, depending on your visa conditions.

  • Live by yourself above a certain age, otherwise you will need to come with your parent or legal guardian.

Things to Note
  • If you want to bring your partner or children with you, they can apply for visas based on their relationship to you.

  • Your student visa is normally for the same length of time as the study you have paid for. It may be issued for a shorter time if your passport expires before the end date of your study.

  • You can apply for this visa if you are a distance learning or correspondence student studying outside New Zealand and you need to visit New Zealand for more than 3 months to attend your education provider, for example to do practical study or sit exams.

  • Your ability to speak or write English is not a student visa application requirement. Check with the education provider to see if they are required for an offer of a place on their course

Accredited Employer Work Visa

With this visa you can
  • Work in New Zealand for an accredited employer who has offered you at least 30 hours work a week.

  • Study for up to 3 months in any 12 month period, or do any study required as part of your employment.

  • If you are eligible, apply for a Straight to Residence Visa, Work to Residence Visa, Care Workforce or Transport Work to Residence Visa.

  • If you are eligible, use skilled work experience in New Zealand to claim points towards the Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa.

Things to Note
  • Your visa will be valid for up to 3 years if you are paid at or above the New Zealand median wage of NZD $29.66 an hour.

  • This visa ties you to the employer who offered you the visa application for the length of your visa ⁠— if your situation changes you will need to vary the conditions of your visa or apply for a new visa.

  • You may be able to support a work visa for your partner and visitor or student visas for your dependent children. You can only support your dependent child's visitor or student visa if you earn at least NZD $43,322.76 each year. 


Welcome visitors to your site with a short, engaging introduction. Double click to edit and add your own text.

Accreditation for the AEWV

  • Businesses are encouraged to train, upskill and hire New Zealand workers before they hire migrants.

  • If you are an employer and you cannot find suitable New Zealanders for a role, you can apply to hire migrants on the Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV).

  • We ask you to get accredited so we can ensure that your business is viable, meets immigration and employment standards, and will not exploit the migrants you may hire.

Apply for employer accreditation

You can apply for 1 of 4 different levels of accreditation.

  • Standard accreditation is for standard businesses hiring up to 5 migrants.

  • High-volume accreditation is for standard businesses hiring 6 or more migrants.

  • Franchisee accreditation is for businesses that are part of a franchise. There is no limit to how many migrants you can hire.

  • Controlling third party accreditation is for businesses who place migrants with third parties while being the direct employer named in the employment agreement. There is no limit to how many migrants you can hire.

You will pay a fee depending on the type of accreditation you need.

You need to have:

  • an NZBN unless you are a foreign diplomatic mission

  • a business IRD number.


Apply for Job check
  • Once you are accredited we ask you to advertise and get a job check to ensure that there are no suitable New Zealanders you could hire and train before you offer the role to someone from overseas.

  • The purpose of the job check is to ensure there are no New Zealanders available to do a job. This aim is to support local employment opportunities, and ensure employers are offering attractive wages to New Zealanders, before they look to recruit migrants.

  • The job check will also help ensure migrants recruited into New Zealand on an AEWV are mostly filling higher-skilled roles.

  • After you are accredited to employ workers on an Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV), gather information about the roles you want to fill and apply online for a Job Check.

bottom of page